PWLLHELI MOORING AND BERTH HOLDERS ASSOCIATION
NOTES OF THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
HELD ON 4 APRIL 2015
Apologies were received from several members unable to attend. These were passed on to the attendees.
Chairman Dave Dewsbury (DD) advised members that representatives from both the Maritime Unit and Natural Resources Wales were unable to attend the meeting.
1. Chairman's review of 2014/15
DD welcomed both old and new members and advised that membership goes from strength to strength representing some 60% of private boat owners in the Harbour and Marina.
DD advised that communications with the Maritime Unit had become difficult in 2014. However, a more positive meeting had recently been held and it is hoped that this will continue during 2015.
DD provided the following information concerning various issues in both the Harbour and Hafan.
- During August 2014 and after some delays the dredging of the marina basin was completed.
- The entrance again closed in over the winter and a large amount of material was removed.
- Some high spots formed over the winter in or near the basin and these are being addressed.
- A Harbour Dredging Strategy has been commissioned by a reputable consultant and the PMBHA Committee have been involved in discussions with them. Last week a much delayed draft report was received and the consultant's recommendations included:
- The immediate removal of the large stockpile at the entrance. This is likely to take place in September.
- Annual sledging of the approach channel to eliminate high spots.
- Widening of the channel to 30 mtrs. (2nd stage)
- Purchase of a small dredging machine to be operated by marina staff for the regular dredging of the basin.
- Urgent repair and raising of the height (2nd stage) of the groin outside the entrance. This work may be carried out in 2 stages.
- Consideration given for the installation of a sump in the channel entrance to reduce the amount of material entering the channel and basin.
- Deposit the material from the next dredge in the bund and continue with the landscaping.
- Commission a study to see whether the material can be dispersed safely directly into the sea outside of the harbour.
- Study the possibility of having a dumping ground closer than Holyhead deep.
The PMBHA Committee have been invited to review the Draft Report and comment to the Maritime Office followed by a meeting with the Consultants at the end of April.
A limited refurbishment has been undertaken however, the Committee feel it to be inadequate making the showers not fit for purpose. We have highlighted the main issues to the Marina Manager and the Maritime Unit. We have been advised that cubical doors are to be fitted within the next few weeks.
Fees & Services
After much negotiation by the Committee berthing and harbour fees increased by 1%.
Discussions have taken place concerning Direct Debit payment costs which are currently charged by Gwynedd Council Maritime Unit at 32% APR. However, your Committee was unsuccessful but talks have commenced for next years fees.
Representations to the Maritime Office to review both banding charge systems (particularly for boats under 11mtrs) was also unsuccessful, however talks are progressing and the Marina Manager will be looking at this issue.
The fuel supplied by the Hafan is still of the type which is not recommended by the RYA. Negotiations by your Committee are ongoing.
Harbour & Hafan Occupancy numbers
The occupancy rates, after levelling somewhat in 2014, has resumed its downward trend circa 18%. The Hafan is now 42% empty at 240 berths. Most of this reduction is again with power boats.
Profits from the Hafan is down from £1m 3 years ago to little more than breakeven if the current trend continues. However, Gwynedd Council and the Maritime office have no plans in place to change this outcome.
Following our recent meeting with the Maritime Unit we hope this may change if some of our suggestions are implemented.
In the past, grossly misleading comparisons to other marinas and harbours have been made by the Maritime Office to the Harbour Consultancy Committee. These were highlighted by your Committee during the recent meeting with the Maritime Office and we understand that the Hafan Manager will be undertaking some work in connection with these issues.
DD also advised members that the Committee have requested to meet with representatives from The Marine Traders Association to discuss ways to improve services offered to boat owners. However, meetings/discussions were declined by them.
- DD asked the members whether they used the new website and if they were happy with the system of communications via emails. There were no negative comments from members. He also asked for a show of hands by members to agree to abandon Yahoo. Members agreed.
- Members agreed to accept membership renewals via Paypal.
- They agreed that a no stamp policy on return envelopes would be a positive way to save funds.
- Paul Langford (PL) Committee Member advised members that if they had issues with e.g. toilet facilities they must complain to the Hafan office.
- DD informed members that the Maritime Office has agreed to put a complaints process in place to keep track of complaints/suggestions.
- Mair Williams once again raised her concerns regarding the insufficient placement of safety ladders in the Hafan. Mair suggested that perhaps portable ladders could be used so as to be able to be moved for emergency use. DD agreed that this matter would be taken up again with the Hafan office.
- Norman Pursglove raised his concerns regarding the wake created by ribs on CHPSC racing days. DD agreed to take this up with Bob Lowe (Commodore) and/or Gareth Roberts (Events Manager) of CHPSC. Members were also advised to record the code number of the offending rib and report the incident to the Hafan office.
- Steve from Yabba Dabba Doo motorboat is also concerned regarding wake from passing craft. The position of his pontoon means that his boat is frequently exposed to wake by speeding craft in all directions. DD again requested that any member suffering from disturbances from the effects of wakes should report it to the Hafan office with as much information as they can obtain.
- A member asked whether park and launch boats need to have boat insurance. Committee Members PL and RJ informed the meeting that this was not the case.
DD reinforced that PMBHA members are invited to attend Pwllheli Sailing Club Cruising section events. However, these two groups are not connected in any way other than friendship.
If any member wishes to join the Committee DD would be happy to discuss this with them.
2. Passing of Association's Accounts
The Treasurer Brian Edmonds presented the accounts. These were proposed and agreed by RS, seconded by PL.
3. Election of the Officers
The Chairman proposed that there be no change to the current Officers.
Dave Dewsbury Chairman (DD), Brian Edmonds Treasurer (BE), Jan Ranner Secretary (JR). Proposed and agreed by Sarah Collins, seconded by Alan Jones.
4. Election of the Committee
There is no change to the current Committee members: Dave Dewsbury (Chairman DD), Brian Edmonds (Treasurer BE), Jan Ranner (Secretary JR), Richard Smith (RS), Malcolm Mackley (MM), Bohdan Borzykowski (BB), Ruth James (RJ), David Bayly (DB), Paul Langford (PL) Nan Langford (NL) Mark Thompson) MT).
Proposed and agreed by Peter O'Brian, seconded by Norman Pursglove.
5. Agreement of Membership fee for 2016
It was recommended by the Chairman that the membership fee remain at £5 for 2016. It was proposed and agreed by PL and seconded by NL.
********************End of formal meeting********************